Sunday, February 1, 2009

Muchaaa lluviaaa

Wow, apparently I did not leave Seattle or Portland to get away from the rain! I just stepped back into mi casa after getting completely drenched outside in a rain/thunderstorm. The streets are flooded! The Sevillans love it though, because water is usually so scarce here. Maybe it means I can take longer than 5 minute showers? I probably shouldn't push it though.... :)

Anyway, besides the unexpected downpours, Sevilla is growing on me more and more. It will definitely take a few more weeks, but I feel like I'm getting to know the city better each day and am gaining confidence in my ability to speak to people here, including my host mom, Manuela. We have started having longer conversations, and although I still nod and smile while having no idea what she's saying to me a lot of the time, I feel like we're getting more comfortable with each other. Today she told me about her daughters and granddaughters as well as the many young women she's had stay at her house before. It sounds like she's been hosting students for a very long time and loves doing it, which is great. Last night she made tortilla (the spanish omelet, which she mastered MUCH better than my attempt at home) and today she made Paella so that was pretty wonderful for me. She also told me she'd let me help cook if I wanted to and would give me the recipes to take home!

This weekend was definitely one of exploration for me and my friends. We spent Friday night and Saturday night trying to find bars with young Spaniards to talk to, but everywhere we went, we found more American students! It's actually getting really frustrating because it feels silly to be in a foreign country and be in a bar filled with people just like me. I think we at least know now where NOT to go if we are trying to meet locals. Tomorrow I am going to turn in my intercambio form where I will get matched up with a local student and help each other with spanish/english. I'm hoping that I will like my partner well enough to go out with her/him or at the very least, get advice as to where to go out.

Despite our failure at finding authentic places thus far, I've had a great time getting to know the people in my group and just exploring the city. I've been walking constantly, and when it's not raining, it's been beautiful. Yesterday (Saturday) my friend and I walked on the path along the river for 2 hours and there was so much going on: a regata, old men fishing and eating bocadillos, little kids bike riding with their parents, runners, people rock climbing up the bridges, you name it. It was fun to see what a typical Saturday is like in Sevilla.

Tomorrow marks my first week in Sevilla as well as my first full week of school. 2 of my friends and I spent hours today in a café attempting our art history and immigration reading, so my hope for tomorrow is that our professors will be able to explain the information better than the textbook can! At least everyone in my group is on the same page...completely overwhelmed and confused :)

More to come later this week!
Besos (that's how the Spanish sign off), Theresa

1 comment:

  1. Hola Theresa,
    Melissa and I are both yakking away to our computers trying to learn spanish via rosetta stone..your way seems a lot better..Melis and 2 friends, willie cramer's mom and Annika Van Dam's mom sponsored an egagement party for Alson Holland..first one to bite the marital dust..up snowshoing with friends and julio..the boys are skiing away, trv was up at whisler for a cross cultural experience..at least thats what he told meit was all about..saw Tim the other night..he's taking one of mom's old clocks..he's really looking forward to seeing you ..katie has cleaned the place out..not much sentiment in that girl..keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete