Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No puedo bailar

So far I have had two flamenco (or more specifically, Sevillana) dance lessons, and I am terrible! Almost everyone in my group signed up for the classes, and only about two girls are actually making much progress. All I've managed to do is twirl my hands around while I shuffle my feet in different directions and spontaneously spin and end up facing the wrong way. My teacher dances so gracefully and seductively, as if it is the easiest thing to do. (I, on the other hand, do NOT look sexy while dancing the flamenco!) I'm hoping that by the end of my 4th lesson, I'll have gotten the hang of something, because right now, most of us just look hilarious. There are three boys in our class as well and they are surprisingly good at it so far...I think the male part must be easier.

Fortunately, the classes I'm getting credit for are going much better. For my art history class, we are taking a field trip to nearby Itálica, an ancient Roman city where there is the 3rd largest Roman amphitheater. (Not quite the Colosseum). I thought my art history class might be the hardest to sit through, but I'm really enjoying it because for once, I will be able to go to museums and monuments and have more to say than, "that's beautiful!". It also helps to have such small classes- our group was split into 2, so I have most of my classes with only 6 other people, all from LC. Definitely no room for slacking.

I've still been walking and exploring in the afternoons (before the evening downpours) and today I even took a run along the river. Even walking the same paths each day doesn't get boring because there are so many people out and so much activity on the streets. A lot of older couples walk with their dogs, but all of the dogs are tiny and none of the owners pick up after them, so you have to watch where you step. Most all the streets are cobblestone and you have to stay close to the edge because cars and motorcycles constantly zoom by without a care if there are pedestrians in the way. It has been fun wandering around with friends and semi-getting lost in the side streets. There are so many nooks and crannies as well as a million cafés and shops. It's different than being at home where residential areas and shopping areas are so much more separated. I think I like it this way, where I can walk less a block in each direction and find some kind of café or bar. Last night, for example, we found a bar called Alba just a couple blocks from my house that has free sangria and beer every Tuesday night from 10:30 to midnight! Despite it being a school night, tons of young people and students were there, drinking, shouting over music and dancing till who knows what time. I could only make it to 1 am, but I also don't always take advantage of siesta as some others do here! Anyway, I don't think it'll be our last time at the Alba bar on Tuesday nights...

One last thing: Yesterday, I was sitting at an outdoor table at a plaza with some friends. An old woman, a beggar, came up to us and tried to sell us herbs which would cure us and help her. We tried to ignore her, but she wouldn't go away so I kept telling her "no gracias". She started shouting and pointing her finger at me, I'm pretty sure telling me I was going to go to hell. Then she hit me with her fist! At that point, the waiter came over and asked her to leave and apologized profusely to me. It was very strange..I've never been hit by a creepy old woman before.

Besos, Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment