On a lighter note...the weather has continued to be beautiful: 60 degrees and sunny. Last week I took a walk to Plaza de España and Parque de Maria Luisa, both of which were created for the big fair in Spain in 1929. I have now figured out how to post photos on this blog, so I will include them to show you. This weekend, my friends and I also found a new neighborhood which is full of young Spanish people! Finally! Unfortunately, one of the girls got her purse robbed the next day in the same area. Of course the local fun places also tend to be the most frequent pickpocket places. Otherwise, I had a pretty laid back weekend. I spent every weekend afternoon with friends by the river, including some of the other students from the center who are from different U.S. schools. I also had a nice dinner with my friends on Valentine´s Day. Needing a break from the unidentifiable meat and fried potatoes we eat most days, we went out for pizza and salads at an Italian restaurant nearby. Delicious!
One thing that has definitely been difficult for me is the food here- although I am lucky enough to have a host mom who cooks well, the food is still very heavy and the amount of bread and fried food is overwhelming! Thankfully, Manoli always serves some type of vegetable (even if it is potato) and an orange at the end of lunch and dinner. My favorite meals so far have been: paella, lentil stew with chorizo, fried hard boiled eggs (sounds weird but it was delicious), chicken/vegetable stew in a tomato broth, bocadillos (type of sandwich), and tortillas (egg and potato omelet/fritatta). I thought that I would like the fish here, but so far the fish has either been in the form of squid soup (yes I ate that...felt nauseous for hours after), fried fish sticks, or cold tuna. Thus, sadly, I am not the seafood lover I once was back in the NW.
Last wednesday, there was also the big fútbol game between Spain and England at the Seville stadium. Thousands of English (mostly men) came to watch the game, but also apparently to cause ruckus and get completely belligerent before and after the game. The entire day before the game, the English were flooding the bars and the streets, pounding down the beers and yelling at whoever passed. It was awful- they even threw oranges at cars. A few of my friends actually bought tickets to the game, but me and a few other girls decided to save the money and find a bar to watch the game and cheer for Spain. We met up with a group of Spanish guys that we'd met the night before, and they took us to a bar with big screen TVs and, of course, packed with people, fans of both teams. Fortunately, Spain won the game 2-0 and the drunk English were sent home with empty wallets and bad reputations.
Well it's time for me to get to class! School is definitely starting to kick in- I have 3 tests tomorrow! Today is not going to be the best of days...but then its another 3 day weekend and on Saturday I am going to Cadiz to celebrate Carnaval! Should be the most insane night of my life, I am very excited but I need to find a costume first. Then on Tuesday my group leaves for Morocco for 6 days, which I am also really looking forward to. After those two trips, I will definitely have some new stories for everyone!
Besos, Theresa
PS. I think I am finally getting the hang of the Sevillana dancing! On Monday we were put into pairs and I managed to do the whole first part of the dance without spinning the wrong direction or stepping on my partner's toes! Woo!
My host mom, Manoli, and her youngest daughter, Kari

People marching weeks after Marta's disappearance, hoping for her return
Plaza de España
Parque de María Luisa

Soaking up the sunshine- I love my life
People lounging by the river in the sun- This is Monday, on Sunday there were 3x the amount of people here
Some of the guys playing guitar and hacky sack by the river
Great post! Keep them coming, and good luck on those tests! love mom
ReplyDelete